State of Arizona Recreational Therapist 2 in PHOENIX, Arizona
ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
Arizona State Hospital - 501 N. 24th St., Phoenix, AZ 85008
“Promoting_ Health and Wellness for all Arizonans”_is the motto of the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS). ADHS promotes and protects the health of Arizona’s children and adults and sets the standard for personal and community health through direct care, science, public policy and leadership. ADHS is an award winning, nationally recognized department and is one of the largest in Arizona State Government with a budget of 1.5 billion dollars and workforce of approximately 1550 employees.
Recreational Therapist 2
This position provides direct recreational therapy services under the supervision of the program manager to evaluate patient's needs, rehabilitative potential, and progress. Additionally, this position develops implements and adjusts treatment or service plan based on knowledge of patient's situation gained from interviewing and gathering case information. Confers with other members of the treatment or therapy team, discusses, plans and determines courses of action in patient care, treatment, or case determination
– Participating in establishing and maintaining a safe, orderly and therapeutic environment
– Providing direct recreational therapy services; leads, instructs, encourages patients in a program of individual and group activities of a physical, social and cultural nature such as indoor and outdoor games and sports, arts and crafts, music, parties, hobby shop work and special interest clubs
– Designing and constructing adaptive, assistive and supportive equipment for use of patients to improve motor functioning, strengthen and support muscles or prevent malfunction or deformities
– Evaluating the neurophysiologic and psychosocial needs of individuals with physicians, other disciplines, and higher level therapists
– Adapting and applying various techniques of recreational therapy such as training in activities of daily living, conditioning and muscular facilitation to meet these needs
– Choosing treatment modalities based upon patient ability to produce predetermined goals such as increased muscle strength and coordination, sensory motor integration and/or increased awareness of and ability to cope with one's surroundings and interpersonal relationships
– Documenting evaluation results, treatment plans, progress notes, and discharge summaries in the patient's health record
– Escorting patients to and from care units of the hospital
– Supporting a diverse multi-cultural workforce that reflects the community, promotes equal opportunity at all levels of ADHS, and creates an inclusive work environment that enables all individuals to perform to their fullest potential free from discrimination.
− Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of recreational therapy, the therapeutic effects of exercise
− Knowledge of methods used to accomplish therapeutic goals through recreational programs
− Knowledge of the scope of recreational therapy and its relationship to other health care professions
− Knowledge of modification techniques used to adapt activities to individual needs, community resources for recreational activities and policies and procedures established for the work unit
− Skills in applying recreational therapy techniques
− Skill in explaining and demonstrating therapeutic modalities/activities to staff, patients, primary caregivers, and other interested persons
− Ability to assess patient's needs
− Ability to develop treatment plans, goals and effective patient treatment modalities
− Ability to plan, carry out and evaluate treatment programs
− Operate up to a 12 passenger van (must be able to complete required hospital training)
− Ability to motivate patients as deemed appropriate by Individual Treatment Plans
− Ability to maintain sensitivity, objectivity, and flexibility under peer pressure associated with mentally/emotionally ill patients
− Communicate verbally and in writing
− Interpret therapeutic activities to patients and other individuals as appropriate
− Performance management (PM) model and continuous quality improvement (CQI) methods in a public health setting
− Requires a Bachelor's degree in a Rehabilitation or health related field at the time of hire
− Certification as a: Recreational Therapist by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation (NCTRC) or be eligible to take the certification exam
− Must have specific health related field credential (such as Therapist - Board Certified, MT-BC; Art Therapist Registered, ATR; Occupational Therapist, OTR/L, Certified occupational therapy assistant [COTA/L]) within six months of hire date to maintain professional/credentialed status
− Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver's license appropriate to the assignment
− Requires successful completion of loss prevention training of Van Dynamics and Defensive Driving certification in order to transport patients utilizing a (12) passenger van
− Requires a post job offer medical/physical exam.Requires the ability to lift 35lbs. floor to waist and to push/up to 90lbs.
− A State hospital employee must possess a valid level one fingerprint clearance card issued pursuant to A.RS. 41-1758.07
– Experience working or serving in mental health.
– Preference will be given to candidates with prior Public Health experience
The State of Arizona provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
− Affordable medical, dental, life, and short-term disability insurance plans
− Top-ranked retirement and long-term disability plans
− Accrued vacation pay and sick days
− 10 paid holidays per year
− Deferred compensation plan
− Credit union membership
− Wellness plans
Requires possession of and ability to retain a current, valid state-issued driver’s license appropriate to the assignment. Employees who drive on state business are subject to driver’s license checks, must maintain acceptable driving records and must complete any driver training (See Arizona Administrative Code R2-10-207.12).
− Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.
− All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
− Click the APPLY NOW button to submit your application.
Having trouble applying for this position?
Email[email protected] or call 602-542-4700 for assistance.
Post Date: 03/14/2018
Category: MEDICAL/HEALTH SERVICES