American Express VP Technology in Phoenix, Arizona
American Express is seeking a visionary and results-oriented Head of Customer Marketing Technology who will lead the platform transformation designed to enable a world class, seamless and personalized experience for our customers across all channels. The role will lead a large, high performing, global engineering organization responsible for the end to end suite of technologies that enable data-driven digital marketing to millions of Amex customers worldwide.
Key Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Data Management & Advanced Analytics:
- Lead the development of a comprehensive marketing data management environment leveraging the company’s Big Data platform
- Dramatically improve business measurement, analytic capabilities and quality of actionable business insights to drive marketing performance across Amex businesses
Marketing & Personalization Capabilities:
- Enable best-in-class marketer experience through the implementation of efficient workflow and robotics capabilities
- Enable cutting edge real-time marketing capabilities including eligibility as a service and event definition and detection
- Partner with data scientists to lead the design and implementation of world class personalization capabilities leveraging advanced analytics and real time machine learning
- Integrate with marketing stakeholders, channel owners and partners across all Amex lines of business including centers of excellence for Global Marketing Operations and Enterprise Digital and Analytics
- Build and develop team, capabilities, supporting processes and infrastructure to deliver above business improvements, building upon existing Amex teams and resources
- Scale globally with the business and partners across multiple geographies
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader with a track record of developing cutting-edge marketing technology platforms that improve both customer engagement/experience and business performance. This leader will have deep expertise in designing products that leverage advanced analytics and machine learning, especially within a consumer-oriented and performance marketing driven environment. S/he will have a strong background in digital marketing/martech and experience partnering with data scientists, marketers and channel teams.
This leader will be comfortable solving complex problems and navigating unchartered territory. S/he will be highly adaptable and have the proven ability to pivot and course correct as the digital landscape and customer behavior continue to evolve. S/he will have excellent listening and cognitive skills and the ability to influence, shape and drive dialogue by building “buy-in” across the organization.
Ideally, this person has experience in a progressive, consumer-oriented technology company of significant scale. S/he will have a reputation as a strong leader and team builder who is adept at attracting and developing great talent, having led teams of 50 in multiple geographies.
- 10 years of large-scale technology delivery and formal management in a complex environment
- 5-8 years Martech experience with broad knowledge of the digital marketing landscape including relevant products, tools, processes, and industry players
- Large scale software product engineering experience with contemporary tools and delivery methods in a complex environment, i.e. Agile, Test Modernization, CI/CD, Cloud Solutions, and DevOps practices
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to influence at all levels across functions, from both technical and non-technical perspectives alike
- Outstanding influential and collaboration skills; ability to drive consensus and tangible outcomes, demonstrated by breaking down silos and fostering cross communication process
- Proven experience attracting, hiring, retaining and leading top engineering talent and building high performing teams in a highly competitive market
- Experience managing in a fast paced, complex and dynamic global environment with the ability to convey passion, energy and intensity
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and technology evolution and is a change agent with external technology contributions (patents, noteworthy Open Source attributions, publications, etc.)
- Expert-level relevant hands-on engineering skills across a broad range of technologies, including expertise in the construction of enterprise-grade APIs and Services using state-of-the-art techniques (REST, JSON, XML, etc.) that can be readily consumed through a self-service implementation model (full SDK, test stubs, test data, etc.)
- Experienced in designing and delivering high available and performant digital applications with very high volumes in both Pull and Push modes
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred
/Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions./
Title: VP Technology
Requisition ID: 18005507